Places To See
Welcome to Ogallala and Keith County, Nebraska – home of beautiful Lake McConaughy, the largest lake in a 3-state region! We hope you’ll take some time to explore the historic and cultural attractions of our area. Learn more about our local history here. While you’re at it, check out places to stay and places to eat.
- Ash Hollow: In nearby Garden County, this state historical park commemorates a famous stopping point on the Oregon/California Trail.
- Boot Hill: Take a self-guided walking tour of this 1880s Texas Trail era cemetery. Cowboys who met an untimely end in Ogallala were said to have been buried “with their boots on” at this grassy hill on the north side of town.
- Front Street Crystal Palace Revue: The longest running summer stock theatre production in Nebraska, Front Street hosts an Old West shoot-out and show during the summer.
- Historic Walk of Fame: Enjoy the self-guided Historic Walk of Fame walking tour in downtown Ogallala. Outdoor markers chronicle the history of Keith County.
- Lake McConaughy Visitors/Water Interpretive Center: The local Game and Parks HQ, the Center also contains an aquarium and interactive educational exhibits.
- Little Church, Keystone: Keystone’s historic church with both Catholic and Protestant altars is open by appointment.
- Mansion on the Hill: Ogallala’s 1887 Victorian home and museum is open to tour during the summer.
- Ole’s in Paxton: See a vintage collection of over 200 trophy mounts at this Paxton steakhouse and lounge that opened in 1933.
- Petrified Wood Gallery: This unique collection of ancient woods, art and artifacts is a visitor favorite.
- Spruce Street Station: A restored 1922 Standard Oil station serves as a summer visitors center in downtown Ogallala.
- Tri-Trails Park: A convenient stop from the interstate, this small, scenic park commemorates all the historic trails that passed through Ogallala and Keith County.
(lake photo courtesy of Bailee Schow)
Calendar of Events
12:00 pm APA Signature Show at the Petrif...
APA Signature Show at the Petrif...
Mar 17 @ 12:00 pm – Apr 29 @ 2:00 pm
The Petrified Wood & Art Gallery in Ogallala will again host the American Plains Artists (APA) Signature Show this spring. The show will be on display March 17-April 29 at the gallery located at 418 East 1st[...]
all-day Catfish Classic
Apr 29 all-day
The annual Catfish Classic will take place Saturday April 29, 2023 Contact: Darrell Morrow 308-778-5879
all-day Wild West Soap Box Derby – Seaso...
Wild West Soap Box Derby – Seaso...
Apr 29 all-day
Contact: Dave Barrett at 308-778-5879
10:00 am Birding at Lake Mac
Birding at Lake Mac
May 13 @ 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
Join us at Lake McConaughy for this Nebraska Bird Month Event Saturday, May 13 from 10 a.m. to noon at the Lake McConaughy Visitors Center! Learn about common birds at Lake McConaughy, make pinecone bird[...]