Places To See
Welcome to Ogallala and Keith County, Nebraska – home of beautiful Lake McConaughy, the largest lake in a 3-state region! We hope you’ll take some time to explore the historic and cultural attractions of our area. Learn more about our local history here. While you’re at it, check out places to stay and places to eat.
- Ash Hollow: In nearby Garden County, this state historical park commemorates a famous stopping point on the Oregon/California Trail.
- Boot Hill: Take a self-guided walking tour of this 1880s Texas Trail era cemetery. Cowboys who met an untimely end in Ogallala were said to have been buried “with their boots on” at this grassy hill on the north side of town.
- Front Street Crystal Palace Revue: The longest running summer stock theatre production in Nebraska, Front Street hosts an Old West shoot-out and show during the summer.
- Historic Walk of Fame: Enjoy the self-guided Historic Walk of Fame walking tour in downtown Ogallala. Outdoor markers chronicle the history of Keith County.
- Lake McConaughy Visitors/Water Interpretive Center: The local Game and Parks HQ, the Center also contains an aquarium and interactive educational exhibits.
- Little Church, Keystone: Keystone’s historic church with both Catholic and Protestant altars is open by appointment.
- Mansion on the Hill: Ogallala’s 1887 Victorian home and museum is open to tour during the summer.
- Ole’s in Paxton: See a vintage collection of over 200 trophy mounts at this Paxton steakhouse and lounge that opened in 1933.
- Petrified Wood Gallery: This unique collection of ancient woods, art and artifacts is a visitor favorite.
- Second Chapter Brewing & on-site food truck, Lake Mac Shack, are housed in Ogallala’s historic former Goodall City Library building at 203 West A Street.
- Spruce Street Station: A restored 1922 Standard Oil station serves as a summer visitors center in downtown Ogallala.
- Tri-Trails Park: A convenient stop from the interstate, this small, scenic park commemorates all the historic trails that passed through Ogallala and Keith County.
(lake photo courtesy of Bailee Schow)
Calendar of Events
all-day Terry McCormick Memorial Walleye...
Terry McCormick Memorial Walleye...
Jun 10 all-day
Contact: Rose McCormick at 308-778-7216
8:00 am Ogallala Farmers Market
Ogallala Farmers Market
Jun 10 @ 8:00 am – Oct 7 @ 12:00 pm
The Ogallala Farmers Market is held Saturday mornings from 8:00 a.m. to noon at Rendezvous Square. This year’s season begins June 3, 2023. Markets generally continue through early October.
9:00 am Family Day 3D Shoot – Big Mac Ar...
Family Day 3D Shoot – Big Mac Ar...
Jun 11 @ 9:00 am – 2:00 pm
The Big Mac Bowhunters will host a Family Day 3D Archery Shoot Sunday, June 11 at the Burma Road Archery Range, across the highway from the Lake McConaughy Visitors Center. People of all ages may[...]
all-day Pony Express Re-Ride Ogallala Ex...
Pony Express Re-Ride Ogallala Ex...
Jun 15 all-day
Tri-Trails Park in Ogallala serves as a location for one of the hundreds of mochila (mailbag) exchanges from horse to horse that take place along the Pony Express Trail between St. Joseph and Sacramento. The[...]