Keith County Info
Coming to Keith County? Check the Nebraska recommendations to prevent the spread of COVID-19 at dhhs.ne.gov/Pages/COVID-19-Protect-Yourself-and-Others.aspx, including “Wear a cloth face covering in public (grocery stores, pharmacies etc.) when you can’t stay 6 feet away from others.” Both Safeway and Walmart (Ogallala’s main grocery stores) are requesting the use of face coverings.
The surface water temperature in the bays is averaging around 75°, with 65-70° in the deeper water in the middle of the lake.
Elevation has dropped nearly 8 feet in the past month and is currently at 3,245.7 or 69.9% of capacity (July 31). The low water dock is in place at Lemoyne; other docks still in service include Divers Bay, Spillway Bay (front), Martin Bay (south), Cedar View (lakeside) and Cedar View (bayside). The north and south docks at Lake Ogallala are also in service.
⭐️SEE BELOW FOR ANSWERS TO LAKE MAC FAQS!⭐️
• Current water level info is available at https://www.cnppid.com/.
• Visitors are reminded to contact Nebraska State Patrol Dispatch at 308-535-8047 for non-emergency law enforcement issues and to monitor weatherband radios or apps for changing weather conditions. Call 911 for emergencies.
• See www.ilovelakemac.com/ogallala/ogallala-lodging/ for local hotel and lodging info. See www. ilovelakemac.com/lake-info/camping/ for local private campgrounds.
See NGPC’s KNOW BEFORE YOU GO information for a safer, family-friendly destination.
• The possession and consumption of alcohol is prohibited at Lake McConaughy and Lake Ogallala State Recreation Areas.
• Yes, beach camping is permitted. Camping is available in seven designated campgrounds and 23 designated camping areas across the parks, and no reservations are needed for beach/primitive or the 3 new basic campgrounds. Roughly half the spots in the state’s 4 modern campgrounds are also first-come, first-served. For reservations in the modern campgrounds, go to outdoornebraska.gov.
• Nebraska state park entry permits are required for all vehicles. Buy permits online in advance at OutdoorNebraska.org.
• Law enforcement presence has been increased at the recreation areas.
• All pets must be on a 6-foot leash at all times.
• ATVs and UTVs are prohibited at the recreation areas.
• For maps and info on campgrounds, camping areas, swimming and day-use areas, go to ilovelakemac.com/plan-your-visit/camping-lodging, outdoornebraska.gov/lakemcconaughy, and outdoornebraska.gov/lakeogallala.
• Pack out everything you bring with you and leave only your footprints, please! 👣
Social distancing and group-size recommendations must still be maintained to help ensure compliance with the state’s public health directives amid the COVID-19 health situation. Please remember it’s up to each of us to recreate responsibly for our health and that of our neighbors. #ResponsibleRecreation
• Maintain a 6-foot distance between other guests.
• Engage in recreational activities only with members of your household.
• Follow www.cdc.gov and dhhs.ne.gov guidelines, including wearing a cloth face covering in public (grocery stores, etc.) when you can’t stay 6 feet away from others.
• Stick to low-risk activities to reduce stress on local emergency response and health care systems.
• Minimize travel distance from home. If your intended location is congested, come back at another time or move to a nearby, less-crowded site.
• Pack — and use — hand sanitizer often.
• Avoid high-touch areas. Clean public use surfaces, such as boat dock handrails and fish cleaning stations, with disinfecting wipes prior to use.
• If boating, do not congregate at boat ramps, boat docks, and beach areas.
• If you are sick, or have been exposed to someone who is sick with COVID-19, stay home.
NGPC is currently conducting major road repairs to Shoreline Road at Lake McConaughy SRA with completion scheduled for late summer. Visitors should expect traffic delays and periodic, temporary closures of parking areas and beach access points. Please, practice safe, defensive driving at construction sites. For the most up to date information on temporary closures relating to road construction, please call the Park Office at 308-284-8800.
ilovelakemac.com is a visitor website provided by the Keith County Visitors Committee, an independent county tourism group. The Lake McConaughy State Recreation Area is managed by NE Game & Parks.