SEPTEMBER Activity Calendar – Lake Mac Naturalist
Join Park Naturalist Heidi Swanson & NGP staff for these September activities. Please call (308) 284-8800 with any questions.
- Sept 1 at 1pm and 3pm Nebraska Reptiles at Lake Mac Visitor Center. Dr. Dennis Ferraro will have a live animal demonstration.
- Sept 7 at 8am September Songbird Search at the Lake Ogallala west campground (the primitive side). It is fall migration time, and we could get some surprises. Binoculars and field guides provided.
- Sept 7 at 9pm The Night Sky at Ash Hollow SHP, up on the ridge. Amateur astronomer Doug Wolford will bring his telescope and I will bring binoculars to look at the moon and stars. Sept 8 is the backup night.
- Sept 8 at 4pm Nature Walk: September Songbird Search part 2 at Ash Hollow SHP. We will walk the Oregon/California Trail at the base of the bluff. Binoculars and field guides provided.
- Sept 14 from 3-7pm Monarch Program at Lake Mac Visitor Center. Monarch migration is in full swing, so come learn a bit about the “super generation” and their migration to Mexico. We will catch, observe and release butterflies we find, and talk about native plants and migratory behavior. Nets provided, crafts to follow.
- Sept 15 at 4pm Nature Walk: Monarchs, Milkweed, and Migration at Spring Park (between Lemoyne and Cedar Vue on highway 92). As we walk we will talk about why monarch numbers are declining, why they need milkweed, and how we discovered their wintering grounds in Mexico.
- Sept 22 at 4pm Nature Walk: Fall Colors of Grass location TBD. Fall color isn’t just for trees!
- Sept 28 at 8pm The Night Sky at Ash Hollow SHP, up on the ridge. Amateur astronomer Doug Wolford will bring his telescope and I will bring binoculars to look at the moon and stars. Sept 29 is the backup night.
- Sept 29 at 4pm Nature Walk: The Platte River at Ash Hollow SHP. Meet at the visitor center on top of the hill, and we will walk the Medicine Wheel trail to see and talk about the North Platte.
(Rock Wren photo courtesy of Joel Jorgansen of the Nebraska Game & Parks Commission.)